How To Cure And Control Thyroid By Yoga Poses
Thyroid diseases are very common these days. An increasing number of individuals are being afflicted with the disease throughout the world. The problem is caused due to excessive and too little secretion of TSH . A good number of medications are available to treat thyroid diseases. Obviously, the patients visit the doctors and follow their prescriptions after sustaining symptoms related to thyroid diseases.
However, it is also important for them to practice yoga to get quick relief from the problem. Yoga for thyroid problems? Some may raise their eyebrows in disbelief while some will ridicule the idea. The truth is some yoga postures are very helpful to treat thyroid disorders. Keep in mind that yoga does not prevent medicines from working. Instead, it is believed that yoga steps up the action of prescribed medicines. These postures actually address the root causes by sending instructions to thyroid gland to release thyroxin hormone to help metabolism.
Best Yoga Poses For Thyroid Problems
Yoga is one of the important natural solutions to treat thyroid disorders. The different Yoga poses provide thyroid treatment. These poses are also beneficial in the prevention and management of thyroid. The list of 10 best yoga poses ensures effective solutions both in the case of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.
How Yoga Can Help Reduce Thyroid Disorder Symptoms:
Before you start practicing yoga for thyroid disorders, make sure to consult your physician. Also, these yoga techniques work on coping with the symptoms better and are not a substitute to medication .
Note: Although all yoga asanas are considered to be good for both hypo and hyperthyroidism patients, we recommend some of the postures below which can be particularly useful. You need not restrict your practice to only these poses check with an Sri Sri Yoga teacher on more asanas for your condition.
Don’t Miss: Collagen And Thyroid
How Can Yoga Help To Improve Thyroid Function
Thyroid disorder has become very common over the last decade. It is an endocrine disorder that either manifest as hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism which is excess or under-production of the thyroid hormone. These hormones adversely affect metabolism in our bodies when not produced in precise quantities. Some symptoms include fatigue, weight gain or loss, change in heart rate, and swelling of the neck. A stressful lifestyle is a foundation for all diseases, and there is a known connection between thyroid aggravation and stress. Yoga is known to improve thyroid function by reducing stress. The twisting, compression, and stretching that is required for yoga asanas aids in massaging the butterfly-shaped thyroid gland to regulate the releasing of hormones.
Perform Matsyasana With Us
- Sit on the yoga mat and extend your legs in front.
- Place your hands under your buttocks.
- Your palms should be facing down and fingers towards the toes.
- Make a 90-degree angle between your arm and chest.
- Slowly lift your chest and press into your arms. Make sure to stay lifted.
- Release the position slowly and gradually.
You May Like: Can I Take Collagen Supplements With Thyroid Medication
Yoga Poses To Cure Thyroid
The thyroid is a gland in the body that is shaped like a butterfly. It is situated in front of the neck and the lower area of ones Adams apple. On normal days an individual has a normal shaped thyroid that cannot be felt however, it may expand and cause problems.
There are various thyroid diseases that individual experiences due to the dysfunction of the thyroid gland. These diseases include Thyroid nodules, Underactive Thyroid, Hyperthyroidism, Goiter, Thyroiditis, and even Thyroid Cancer. These thyroid problems vary in their level of severity and need to be treated accordingly.
What is Yoga?
Yoga is nothing by a spiritual discipline or art which is the ancient form of gym exercise. The word Yoga can find its roots and is derived from the Sanskrit word yoke which means to unite and Yuj which translates to join. Thus yoga is nothing by joining or uniting the physical with the spiritual.
There are various forms of yoga and each has an uncountable number of benefits and uses. Yoga can help cure internal as well as external disease and help improve the quality of life. Thus you can bring harmony between your body and mind and experience the goodness of yoga at the 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh.
Can Yoga help to cure or treat Thyroid?
5 Yoga poses to help cure Thyroid
Thus the 5 Yoga poses that can be performed to help cure Thyroid are as follows:
Diet For Thyroid Patients
Food items that need to be avoided in hypothyroidism condition are cauliflower, brussels sprouts, raw leafy green vegetables like spinach, mustard greens, sweet potatoes, peaches, strawberries, walnuts, peanuts, pine nuts, cabbage, broccoli, radish. One should also stay away from coffee, green tea, potato chips, cookies, crackers.
Food items recommended for hypothyroidism patients: Eggs, lamb, beef, chicken, salmon, tuna, halibut, shrimp, berries, bananas, oranges, tomatoes, milk, cheese, yogurt, lamb and chicken.
Hyperthyroidism: Egg whites, bamboo shoots, bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, dried beans, lentils, nuts, chicken and turkey, red meat, flaxseed oil, olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil and collard greens can be beneficial.
People suffering fromHyperthyroidismshould avoid lobster, sushi, carrots, cucumber, pumpkin, carrageen, prawns, crabs, fish, seaweed, milk and dairy products, lettuce, beets, spinach and parsley, egg yolks, iodised salt, processed meats, celery.
Recommended Reading: Does A Thyroid Test Need To Be Fasting
How To Cure Thyroid By Yoga In 2021
Yoga is an ancient discipline that is based on finding inner balance as a way to achieve health and wellness. Increasing strength and elasticity by controlling the level of physical effort is something possible with regular practice, which is why, in its different variants, it is highly recommended for older adults.
It can also help improve specific ailments, as long as you perform the proper postures. In the case of diseases related to the Thyroid gland, it can be effective in regulating the production of hormones, the mismatch of which causes both hyperthyroidism and the opposite situation, hypothyroidism.
Can Pranayam Help For Treating Thyroid Issues As Well
To deal with hypothyroidism, some of the breathing exercises like pranayama, ujjayi, Kapalbhatti and Bhastrikacan be practiced. The function of these breathing exercises is to provide a stable balance and regulation of the thyroid gland. For Pranayama in hyperthyroidism, it helps the body to prepare for meditation.
Its breathing practice can alter the minds emotional imbalance and provides calmness. You can perform Nadi Shodhan Pranayama, Sheetkari Pranayama and Bhramari Pranayama for hyperthyroidism. These exercises help in calming down the mind and the body and will show mutual benefits, with the practice of meditation, in yoga for thyroid.
Also Check: Will Graves Disease Go Away
Yoga Therapy For Thyroid Disorders
Below are a few yoga poses that may help improve your thyroid health. Practice each pose/asana for 10 seconds each and repeat 5 sets.
Formation of the posture:
- Kneel on the yoga mat and place your hands on the hips.
- Simultaneously, arch your back and slide your palms over your feet till the arms are straight.
- Do not strain or flex your neck but keep it in a neutral position.
- Stay in this posture for a couple of breaths.
- Breathe out and slowly come back to the initial pose. Withdraw your hands and bring them back to your hips as you straighten up.
- It stretches and opens the front of the body.
- It also strengthens the back and shoulders.
- It relieves the body of lower backache.
- It improves the flexibility of the spine and also improves posture.
- It helps overcome menstrual discomfort.
- Lie down on your back.
- Place your palms on the floor beside your body.
- Using your abdominal muscles, lift your legs up 90 degrees.
- Press your palms firmly onto the floor and allow your legs to fall back behind your head.
- Allow your middle and lower back to lift off the floor to enable your toes to touch the floor behind.
- The palms can remain flat on the floor but one may bend the arms at the elbow and support the back with the palms as per their level of comfort.
- Hold the asana for a while.
A word of advice: Those having lumbago, neck pain, spondylitis and high blood pressure should not practice this posture.
How Does This Happen
In a healthy body, the thyroid makes thyroxine and triiodothyronine in response to the pituitary glands thyroid stimulating hormone, or TSH. Some of the T4 is then converted into the more active T3 hormone, and together they regulate metabolism throughout the body. Any interference with even one of these processes can cause symptoms of hypothyroidism. Here are some common possibilities:
You May Like: Does Armour Thyroid Cause Weight Loss
/6plough Pose Or Halasan
Step 1: Lie down on your back with your arms resting by your side.
Step 2: Breathe in and lift your legs up to 90 degrees by engaging your abdominal muscles.
Step 3: Press your shoulder into the ground and then support your back. Use your hands to lift your hips off the floor.
Step 4: Push your toes behind your head until they touch the floor, in such a way that your back should be perpendicular to the ground.
Step 5: Hold the position for a few 4-5 breaths, then come back to the starting position
Perform Shavasana With Us
- Lie flat on your back with toes distant apart.
- Bring your arms away from the body and face your palms towards the ceiling.
- Make sure that your head, neck, and spine are in a straight line.
- Relax completely and let go of any stressful thoughts.
- Breathe slowly and support your knees with a pillow if required.
- A guided meditation or yoga Nidra sessions can help too.
Hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism are two types of thyroid disorders. Both of these affect life negatively. Your doctor will recommend you take proper medications and follow a healthy lifestyle. Yoga for thyroid aims for balancing your energy, hormonal levels, flexibility, and relieving stress. Yoga has positive effects on both underactive and overactive thyroid. They come under one of the most natural remedies and keep our glands healthy. It saves us from severe thyroid complications like goitre, heart diseases, mental health issues, etc. Following these asanas and ensuring the right posture can help tackle thyroid issues effectively.
Read Also: What Is Levothyroxine Used For In Humans
Thyroid Disease In The Usa
A large number of people are suffering from thyroid disorders in the United States of America . This is the third most widespread disease in the USA after Hypertension and Diabetes. As per a recent survey of the American Thyroid Association , about 20 million Americans are having thyroid-related problems. It is surprising to know that more than 50% of them are unaware of this disease. The most important causative factor to the thyroid is a stressful living style.
The sound of Yogic OM for 20-30 times is also beneficial for the smooth functioning of the thyroid gland.
Yogasana To Get Rid Of Thyroid
What Is Your Alternative
While your doctor may very well prescribe synthetic thyroid hormone to replace whats missing, alternatives do exist. Plenty of people have successfully decreased their medicationand many have gone off completelyby making dietary and lifestyle changes. Heres how to get started:
Get your iodine and selenium levels checked. The goal is to take in a minimum of 150 mcg of iodine and up to 1,000 mcg a day. But dont overdo ittoo much iodine can shut down T4 to T3 conversion. Along with an iodine supplement, fortify your diet with sea vegetables like kombu and nori, or take a seaweed supplementkelp and bladderwrack both contain large quantities of iodine, as well as zinc, iron, calcium, and magnesium. The recommended dietary allowance for selenium is 55 mcg a day, which is achievable through a plant-based whole- foods diet, depending on the selenium levels in the soil. If your selenium levels are low, supplement with 200 mcg a day.
Make sure you eat well. Foods high in antioxidants , B vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids all support the thyroid and its functions. Eat a wide range of whole foodsfrom beans, veggies, and grains to fish, nuts, seeds, and nutritional yeast.
Kanchanar guggulu is another ayurvedic preparation historically used to treat enlarged glands or thyroid issues. Kanchanar bark, an astringent, is mixed with trikatu , triphala , and guggulu .
Yoga therapists recommend poses that emphasize flexion and extension of the neck to treat thyroid problems.
Perform Bhujangasana With Us
- Lie flat on the abdomen with hands beside the last rib cage, palms facing downwards.
- Press onto your palms and lift the upper portion of your body with an inhalation. It should include the head, chest, and shoulders .
- Inhale while doing so.
- There is no need to straighten your arms. Keeping a slight bend in the elbows is recommended.
- Keep the breathing normal and hold the posture for 30 secs.
- Release the pose slowly and bring your body down.
Also Check: Thyroid Hormone Resistance Treatment
Perform Sarvangasana With Us
- Put a soft towel or cushion under your neck & shoulders for support.
- Align your shoulders with the cushions edge and rest your head on the yoga mat.
- Keep your body entirely straight and stick your arms at the side of your body with palms facing towards the floor.
- While inhaling, gradually lift your legs.
- Exhale and make your legs parallel to the wall, supporting your back with both the palms.
- Your toes should point towards the ceiling.
- Balance your feet in the air and support your hips with your palms and fingers.
- Tuck your chin into your chest while keeping your neck in a single position.
- Slowly exhale to release the pose and get back to the starting pose.
Yoga To Cure Thyroid Naturally
Yoga For Thyroid Problems Part 1 How To Cure Thyroid Naturally Yoga In Hindi Yoga For Life
yoga to cure thyroid naturally is important information accompanied by photo and HD pictures sourced from all websites in the world. Download this image for free in High-Definition resolution the choice “download button” below. If you do not find the exact resolution you are looking for, then go for a native or higher resolution.
Don’t forget to bookmark yoga to cure thyroid naturally using Ctrl + D or Command + D . If you are using mobile phone, you could also use menu drawer from browser. Whether it’s Windows, Mac, iOs or Android, you will be able to download the images using download button.
Yoga For Thyroid Problem Easy Yoga Workout Natural Methods To Cure Thyroid How To Cure Thyroid
Cure Thyroid Problems Naturally By Yoga Men Women Home Remedies
Yoga For Thyroid Health Top 10 Yoga Poses To Cure Thyroid
Cure Thyroid Problems Naturally Yoga Asanas To Control Thyroid Problems Dhyana Yoga Hmtv
Yoga For Thyroid Health Top 10 Yoga Poses To Cure Thyroid
Yoga For Thyroid Problems Part 1 How To Cure Thyroid
5 Quick Yoga Poses For Thyroid Problems Disorders
Yoga For The Thyroid 10 Poses To Improve Thyroid Health
Yoga For The Thyroid 10 Poses To Improve Thyroid Health
Cure Thyroid Naturally By Yoga
8 Yoga Asanas For Treatment Of Thyroid Problems
Also Check: Drugs That Increase Tsh Levels
You May Have Hypothyroidism If:
- You may be slowly feeling disinterested in everyday affairs, getting lethargic and developing a laid-back attitude towards everything.
- You may be doing just the routine work as always but have started feeling more fatigued than usual.
- You just dont seem to understand why you remain constipated of late.
- Your friends have started noticing a sudden weight gain and you cant seem to explain why as you wonder that you are not even overeating!
- You look at yourself in the mirror these days and notice your face getting puffy.
- You are feeling upset seeing your long, thick hair begin to thin suddenly and there are bunches of hair lying scattered all over the house.
- Your menstrual cycles are irregular .
- You are noticing excessive hair growth on the face which is becoming embarrassing.
- You can see your throat swell up. Surely, its time to see the doc.